Youth attack Police station; free suspects in custody [Watch]

Some angry youth in Nkoranza in the Bono East region have gone on a rampage as they attacked the Municipal Police headquarters freeing at least three suspects in custody

The youth who are protesting the death of 28-year-old trader, Alber Akwasi Donkor reportedly attacked some officers before setting the inmates free, Starr News has reported.

The Police has however identified the leaders of the irate youth and are pursuing them.

Meanwhile, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Dr Akuffo-Dampare has ordered the Police Professional Standards Bureau (PPSB) to investigate the alleged killing of Akwasi Donkor.

ALSO READ  Abronye arrested, charged for making false coup allegations against Mahama

In a press statement Tuesday, Director-General of Public Affairs, DCOP Kwasi Ofori said, the IGP “spoke with the family [of the deceased] on the telephone and has constituted a high-powered delegation led by COP Christian Tetteh Yohuno, the Director-General/Administration to visit Nkoranza tomorrow [Wednesday, for further engagement with all stakeholders.”

The Police have urged the public to avoid unfounded speculations which have the potential to prejudice the outcome of the investigation.

ALSO READ  Woman Slaps Police Commander For Arresting Her Son - PHOTO

The deceased, who is a footballer and digital television installer, is said to have been picked up from his Nkoranza South home by armed officers at 2 am on April 24, 2022, in an unregistered vehicle on an anti-armed robbery operation.

Police sources had told the family the deceased was hit by a bullet by a supposed member of an armed robbery gang when the victim was leading them to other accomplices.

But the family accuse the Police of masterminding the killing of an innocent man.

ALSO READ  Shatta Wale pleads with Akufo-Addo to focus and help Ghanaian Youth

But residents, including the family, say Albert may have been targeted after he chanced on a robbery scene involving some police officers.

He is said to have divulged information on the alleged robbery to some friends, only to be picked up by police the next day.